Salut mes belles et mes beaus!! Joyeux Vendredi -- Happy Friday!! Today's look is a request from Amélie, asking for a nude, fresh and sophisticated summer look concentrating on the eyes. Amélie was very clear about what she wanted: a taupe smokey eye for almond-shaped -- though not Asian -- brown eyes. I was very touched by this special request, not only because it was written in French, but also because it was quite specific and I'm a sucker for specificity. I love it when people know what they want and aren't afraid to ask for it; I especially admire that about the French. Anyway, I hope the rest of you, my lovely readers, can enjoy and utilize this look for yourselves. On to the maquillage!
Read more for how-to, tips, pix & deets :))
Taupe-y Shimmer Eye
There's no better taupe or nude eye shadows out there than the shades from the Urban Decay Naked Palettes. For this look, I used both Nakeds: two taupe-y shades plus one highlight from the Naked 2, and two crease / contour shades from the original Naked. The look I came up with can be worn on a hot summer day, as well as transition into the night. The shimmery shadows are very reflective and festive, while the mattes are casual and wearable, making this look versatile and perfect for any occasion.
- Urban Decay original primer potion
- NYX jumbo eye pencil in Iced Mocha
- Urban Decay Naked 2 Palette
- Verve e/s -- center lid
- Suspect e/s -- inner & outer lid
- Foxy e/s -- tear duct & highlight under brow
- Urban Decay Naked Palette
- Buck e/s -- crease
- Naked e/s -- blending out the crease
- Urban Decay 24/7 liner pencil in Whiskey-- waterline
- Clinique cream liner in Black Honey-- top lash line
- L'Oréal Voluminous Mascara in Carbon Black
- Ardell lash accents #301
Products Used: (LIPS)
- NYX Mega Shine Lip Gloss in Smokey Look-- the perfect peachy nude gloss to go with any smokey look
On my FACE:
- Custom Dinair airbrush foundation & blush -- BIG review coming soon :))
- Prime your eye with a primer and wait for 20-30 seconds for it to set. Then, apply a shimmery taupe sticky base like NYX Iced Mocha all over your lid and up to the crease. Blend it out using your finger.
- Use a flat brush to pat the silver taupe shadow (Verve) to the center of the lid.
- Clean off the brush and apply a brownish taupe (Suspect) to the inner and outer lid, enclosing Verve.
- Using a fluffy dome brush and windshield wiper motions, apply a matte soft brown (Buck) shadow onto the crease. Bring the color under the lower lash line, keeping it in the outer half. Think of creating a "C" shape around the outer crease and lower lash line.
- Clean off the brush and apply a nude shadow (Naked) right above Buck to blend it out, using the same windshield wiper motions.
- Highlight the inner tear duct and brow bone using a matte eggshell shadow (Foxy).
- Line the waterline using a brown waterproof pencil (Whiskey). TIP: Using brown liner in the waterline helps to bring out the color of brown eyes, rather than making the eyes bigger or brighter, like nude or black liner, respectively.
- Line the top lash line using a shimmery brown liner (Black Honey) and extend the wing starting from the outer corner of the lower lash line.
- Apply black mascara and lash accents (optional) and voila!
A summer look would be incomplete without a beautiful rosy blush and glowing cheekbones. For this look, I went for a natural flushed skin effect, using airbrush makeup from Dinair (I'm still learning how to use this stuff, so stay tuned for a big review in the next week or so). As an alternative to airbrushing, use mineral foundation on your problem areas only, allowing your natural skin tone and texture to shine through. Blot the t-zone with translucent powder and you're good to go!
P. S. 1 Day Left to Vote in the Makeup Bee Competition!
I'm only a few votes away from the goal and I need your help!
PLEASE VOTE FOR MY "EYE OF THE TROPICS" Look on Makeupbee: (if you're already a member of Makeupbee, just click on one of the of the links below and hit LIKE with the ♥ so it turns pink)
1. Log in to themakeupbee.com
2. Go to Current Competition: Bee Colorful
3. Vote by Liking my look "Eye of the Tropics"
Thanks a BEE-LLION!!!