Bonjour mes amis! It's the day you've been waiting for -- it's a Sunday Special featuring my big, fat review of Too Faced La Creme Color Drench Lip Cream Lipsticks. A couple of weeks ago, I posted four swatches of the latest La Creme berry shades on my FB & IG and since then, I have been pleasantly bombarded with countless requests to swatch the entire line. Your message was well received, et Voila! Thanks to my friends at Too Faced, I present to you the entire La Creme collection (with meticulous notes and rec's on each shade), in my most thorough lip review of the season!
Read on for pix, deets & recs!
Too Faced La Creme Color Drenched Lip Cream is a rich, creamy lip color, drenched with luscious, hydrating moisturizers including lotus flower extract and power peptides, known to soothe, protect, condition and firm the delicate lip area. The La Creme collection comes in 20 sought-after shades in 5 versatile color families: nudes, spices, pinks, reds and NEW berries. Paraben-free. Vegan friendly.
Purchase: TooFaced.com, Sephora, Ulta
General wear: 3-4 hours, longer if worn over lip liner
Note: The lipsticks have a distinctive, non-lingering pleasant scent that reminds me of a Russian candy from my childhood and lasts about 5 minutes.
Editor's Note: All lip creams are swatched on my lips (medium pink) against my med-tan skin (warm, yellow undertones). Shades will vary slightly depending on individual lip color, skin tone and complexion.
Nudes & Spices
Let's begin with the NUDES
NUDE shades are generally meant to cancel out the natural redness in the lip tissue and result in a chic, pale mouth that serves as a perfect counterpart to a dark smokey eye. I prefer a nude lip that is slightly lighter than my skin tone, a la Rihanna and Kim Kardashian, but not too pale, as it can look chalky.
- Too Faced La Creme in Naked Dolly (top left) -- a pale, pinkish nude, that is slightly sheer and a bit streaky (evens out with a few coats). Naked Dolly is the perfect nude for light skin tones.
- Too Faced La Creme in Nude Beach (top right) -- well-pigmented and rich, Nude Beach is the deeper version of Naked Dolly and is a great nude for medium to tan skin tones.
- Too Faced La Creme in Naughty Nude (bottom left) -- a rich, pigmented, sandy beige that is a great nude for tan to dark complexions. This color is neither lighter nor darker than my medium / tan skin tone, so it almost gives off the appearance of having "no mouth". To counteract the effect, I like to add clear gloss on top.
- Too Faced La Creme in In The Buff (bottom right) -- a peachy-tan shade that is rich, pigmented and a great nude for tan, olive and dark complexions. On lighter skin, this color would be a great every day neutral.
SPICES or Neutrals
Spices are your every day neutrals. These shades are perfect for school, work, shopping and running errands. Spicy lip colors are universally flattering and help women look well put-together in an instant.
- Too Faced La Creme in Spice Spice Baby (top left) -- well-pigmented and rich, this Salmon Beige is a universal shade and my new fave!
- Too Faced La Creme in Cinnamon Kiss (top right) -- very pigmented, rich and creamy. This true cinnamon is a great neutral for darker skin tones.
- Too Faced La Creme in Honey Bear (bottom left) -- a shimmery soft brown that is well-pigmented and creamy. I'm generally not a huge fan of shimmery lipsticks, but Honey Bear is one of the most wearable shimmery shades I've tried.
- Too Faced La Creme in Sweet Maple (bottom right) -- soft, warm brown, reminiscent of 90's makeup (which is making a come-back btw). This pigmented shade is universal and would look particularly great on light or dark skin.
Pinks & Reds
PINKS -- my fave category!
Pink lipsticks are fun, flirty and flattering! Pink makes any outfit pop and is the easiest way to add girly youthful glam to your makeup look.
- Too Faced La Creme in Marshmallow Bunny (top left) -- sheer, shimmery baby-doll pink. This is a great color for a teenager, but may be a tad over the top for an adult. Shimmery shades tend to look best on full, youthful lips, but can also be used in the center of the mouth to fake a plumper pout.
- Too Faced La Creme in Juicy Melons (top right) -- a "MM" favorite, this stunning, sheer-but-buildable pink-coral is universally flattering and is the perfect shade for Spring. I can't rave about it enough!
- Too Faced La Creme in Razzle Dazzle Rose (bottom left) -- Sheer-but-buildable, this medium, blue-based pink looks like a rose petal against the skin. Razzle Dazzle Rose is gorgeous on tan skin and may look more lilac on lighter skin tones. Another "MM" fave :)
- Too Faced La Creme in Fuchsia Shock (bottom right) -- if I could recommend a single color from the Too Faced La Creme Collection, Fuchsia Shock would be it. This year-round, universally flattering bright fuchsia is a must-have for everyone -- it's so flattering, it can be worn by itself!
the Classic REDS
Red lipsticks are classic and timeless. Even if you're not a lover of red, there is one out there for you -- and when you find it, I promise you will feel like a queen :)
- Too Faced La Creme in I Want Candy (top left) -- this beautiful raspberry shade is a red that's closer to pink, thus it's a great first-time red for those of you who are hesitant. The sheer-but-buildable formula is easy to wear and the shade is universally flattering.
- Too Faced La Creme in Coral Fire (top right) -- this vibrant coral is the brighter version of Juicy Melons and is the perfect summer color. Rich, pigmented and creamy, this shade is universally flattering and is another "MM" fave!
- Too Faced La Creme in Stiletto Red (bottom left) -- a true, plush red that is simply to die for. The sheer finish of Stiletto Red makes it a great option for the daytime.
- Too Faced La Creme in Divine Wine (bottom right) -- a beautiful, sheer bordeaux that's great for darker skin tones. TIP: This color is dark and a bit thin, so it requires a good lip liner to keep it from bleeding.
NEW to La Cremes: BERRIES
Berry-tones are sultry, sexy, and demure; adding a dose of mystery to any makeup look and outfit. Berries are generally blue-based and work well with many skin tones and complexions. The key to finding a shade that works best for you is swatch-ing it in daylight.
- Too Faced La Creme in Bumbleberry (top left) -- described as a "satin garnet" this creamy shade is gorgeous, flattering and would be a great statement lip for women with lighter skin tones. It is also a terrific neutral for darker skin tones.
- Too Faced La Creme in Loganberry (top right) -- a deep, berry pink, this sultry shade is the ultimate accessory for vamp makeup or a hint thereof.
- Too Faced La Creme in So Berry Sexy (bottom left) -- a deeper, sexier version of Fuchsia Shock, this well-pigmented shade is another must-have for women of all complexions.
- Too Faced La Creme in Teddy Berry (bottom right) -- Teddy Berry is neutral, wearable, versatile and universally flattering. This rich, dusty rose shade is stunning for every day or night!
My Faves, in Action!
Top Row: Juicy Melons (Pink Family); Razzle Dazzle Rose (Pink Family)
Bottom Row: Fuchsia Shock (Pink Family); So Berry Sexy (Berry Family)
Questions? Comment down below!!
Q: What's your favorite La Creme shade?
Questions? Comment down below!!
Q: What's your favorite La Creme shade?
*Some product/s in this post were sent for my consideration and review. The opinion stated is 100% my own.
Maryam Maquillage © 2013. www.maryammaquillage.com