Bonjour mes belles! To celebrate winter-time, I created this sparkling, enchanting "Winter Princess" makeup look to wear to any outing or special occasion of the season. I was inspired by the many wintry wonders in nature: delicate snowflakes, ornate icicles, cool blue sky and glistening snow. Although it hasn't yet snowed in NY, (nor am I anticipating it) -- one of my New Year's resolutions is to strive to embrace the things I am not comfortable with and to find beauty in the unlikely. Today, I'm translating this notion to makeup and painting my least favorite season as a beautiful one. In doing so, I'm also showcasing how to wear cool makeup tones, even if your skin tone is warm. I'm using a few eyeshadows from the Naked 2 palette, as well as a couple of colorful shades and products from some of my favorite brands.
Read more for details, tips & pix!!
Urban Decay Naked 2 Palette: neutral cool tones
Makeup Geek eye shadows in Stealth & Unicorn; gel liner in Twinkle
Products Used (EYES):
- Urban Decay original primer potion
- Urban Decay Naked 2 Palette
- Verve -- lid and inner corner
- Bootycall -- brow highlight
- Pistol -- lower lash line and outer crease
- Makeup Geek Stealth eyeshadow -- matte cool gray
- Makeup Geek Unicorn eyeshadow -- sparkly bluish purple
- Anastasia Beverly Hills Covet Waterproof Liner in Steel -- steel gray
- Jordana Kajal pencil in White (Similar)
- Makeup Geek Twinkle gel liner -- metallic gunmetal gray
- Revlon colorstay liquid liner in Black Shimmer
- Red Cherry lashes #15 -- gradual, spiky lashes that play up the makeup and never take away from it. I love this subtle, yet effective pair!
- MAC reflects glitter in Reflects Pearl
Products Used (EYEBROWS):
COOL TIPS 4 WEARING COOL TONES: EYES
It is often said that cool eyeshadows are better suited for those with a cool skin tone. While this statement may hold some value, I tend to believe that makeup art has no rules, and anyone can wear anything they like, as long as they wear it with confidence. Having said that, here are a few of my personal tips to wearing cool eyeshadow colors against a warm skin tone:
- Use varying finishes, for example: shimmery for the lids, metallic for the liner and matte for the crease. This not only makes your look more interesting, but it makes cool tones more wearable.
- Create contrast by adding a slightly warmer shadow to the mix. In this case, I added the blue-purple Unicorn eye shadow to the crease.
- Warm up your brows: I'm using a brown pencil to warm up and lighten my brows. Together with my brown eyes, this trick helps create a color balance between the warm and the cool.
COOL TIPS FOR COOL SKIN
My skin tone is very warm and has a lot of yellow base, followed by red and green. To neutralize my skin for cool color eye shadows, I always choose an iridescent highlighter that contains more blue than my everyday highlighter.
- Missha M Perfect Cover BB Cream #27 -- Get yours today at 30% OFF
- Koh Gen Do Maifanshi Makeup Color Base in Lavender Pink -- This product was designed to combat sallowness and dullness. The lavender is used to counteract a yellow cast, while the pink is used to add a healthy tint; when combined, the two colors make a great base to cool off a warm yellow skin tone and prep it for makeup. I'm wearing this base on the high points of my face as my highlighter underneath my makeup.
COOL TIPS FOR COOL LIPS
When wearing cool eye shadows, I also like to pair them with a cool gloss. My tip is to avoid a "pop" of color and instead go for a wash or a subtle hint of cool. Too Faced Glamour Glosses are my favorite for this purpose.
OTHER COOL TIPS
Cool makeup calls for silver toned jewelry and accessories. I'm wearing:
- Silver Chandelier earrings from India (similar Petra Earrings from Stella & Dot)
- easiTinsel by easihair in Holographic Silver -- this silver tinsel clip-in color extension is the perfect addition to any hairstyle and adds a cool touch of bling to your hair. Trim the tinsel to the length of your hair and wear it down-n-wild -- rockstar style or braid it into your princess braid for a sweet, romantic feel.