Salut mes belles! Prom season is right around the corner, and today's look is a jump-off to my prom series fulfilling a special request for Elaina, who will be attending her prom this May! I will be doing lots of prom looks in the upcoming weeks, featuring different colors and styles of makeup and hair, and today's look is a classic take on the prom queen. I chose a purple / pink shimmery smokey eye and a big bun up-do to compliment Elaina's fuchsia dress and brown hair.
Read more for products, pix, tips & how-to!
Prom Queen Plum Queen
PRODUCTS USED (EYES):
- Urban Decay Original Primer Potion
- NYX jumbo eye pencil in Oyster(lid)
- NYX jumbo eye pencil in Purple Velvet(crease)
- Urban Decay 24/7 pencil liner in Zero (smudged along the top and bottom lash lines)
- Urban Decay Ammo Palette
- Grifter e/s -- lid
- Polyester Bride e/s -- inner corner
- Oil Slick e/s -- outer "v", lower lash line
- Urban Decay Deluxe Shadow Box
- Fishnet e/s -- inner crease
- Urban Decay Mariposa Palette
- Infamous e/s -- outer crease
- Skimp e/s -- highlight under brow
- Carlo di Roma nude pencil liner -- waterline
- NYX candy glitter liner in Passion-- inner half of lower lash line
- Elite false lashes #18
- L'Oréal Voluminous mascara in Carbon Black
- As always, start by priming your eye with a good primer like the UD primer potion.
- Let the primer dry and apply a sticky base like NYX jumbo eye pencil in Oyster(a pretty lavender shade). Blend out the product with your finger all over your lid and inner corner. This will help the shimmery eyeshadow stick and prevent fallout.
- Outline your crease (or where you want your crease to appear) with a purple sticky base like NYX Purple Velvet and again blend it out with your finger.
- Using a pencil brush (a small tapered brush) apply a bright medium pink eyeshadow (UD -- Infamous) all over the previously drawn crease. Next, take a fluffy brush and reapply the same shadow using windshield wiper motions. This will give the appearance of a sharper crease, while still looking well blended.
- Taking an iridescent (duo-tone) purple-pink shadow like UD Fishnet on a fluffy brush, apply the shadow to the inner portion of the crease, close to the eyebrow. Blend it out using windshield wiper motions. Bring this color under the lower lash line as well.
- Line the outer portion of the top and bottom lash lines with a smudgy black eye liner (UD -- Zero).
- Apply UD Grifter (shimmery lilac eyeshadow with chunky silver glitters) all over the lid and on top of the previously applied liner.
- Emphasize the outer "v" and outer portion of the top and bottom lash lines with a black glittery eyeshadow like Oil Slick. Blend out the outer "v" portion using small circular motions.
- Highlight the high point under the brow arch using a shimmery neutral shadow like UD Skimp and add a bright pop in the inner corner using a shimmery white like UD Polyester Bride.
- Add a lavender pink glitter liner (NYX Passion) to the inner half of the lower lash line and line the waterline with a nude liner to help the eyes pop even more.
- Finish off the look with a pair of dramatic falsies and black voluminous mascara.
MY FACE is airbrushed with Dinair custom foundation and blush (review here). I think airbrushing is ideal for special occasions like the prom, but if you're not planning on getting your makeup professionally done or don't want to dish out the money for an airbrush kit, go for dewy look using a tinted moisturizer and a creamy highlighter.
ON MY LIPS, I'm wearing:
- NYX lip liner in Natural
- Rimmel lipstick in Airy Fairy-- perfect mauve-y nude to go with a purple pink eye look
- Tarina Tarantino Sparklicity lip gloss in Paiette -- super shimmery lip gloss to play off the glitter in the eye shadow
MY HAIR is up in a big sock bun (tutorial here) and I think it's the most modern and funky hair look for a prom in the 2012. A sock bun is super easy, chic and sturdy, so you can party the night away without worrying about messing up your hair!
Truth be told, I never went to my high school prom and I sincerely regret it. I truly missed a once-in-a-lifetime event, especially since my school is the famous La Guardia Performing Arts High School in NYC, or the "FAME" school, as it is best known by. Too bad, I would've been such a diva at my prom!! I'd definitely rock a hot pink sexy number with big hair and ferocious makeup and I'd dance and sing the night away! P. S. My reunion is coming up very soon, so I guess I'll be experiencing my "prom" then haha...
P. P. S. I almost forgot to mention, I will be at the IMATS NY this Sunday, April 15th!!! Who else is coming? I'd love to meet ya :)))
Maryam Maquillage © 2012. www.maryammaquillage.com